Re: Help choosing a new PC?

Nah. A lot of your information in this regard is out of date/applies to intel.
"haha, incompatible socket":
AMD AM4 users would like to know your location, as the upgrade path on AM4 is excellent and upgrades from Ryzen 2XXX to 5XXX is very possible.
"haha, need a better chipset"
If your existing chipset is missing something you want to add, there's is most likely an addon card you can stick in a PCI slot or m.2 to get that thing. Ran out of SATA ports? addon card. 2.5/10GB ethernet? addon card. More USB ports? addon card. TV tuner? Yeah. Much of the PCI express stuff is backwards compatible and doesn't mind being ran in lower generation slots also, especially noticeable with GPUs and NVME drives.
But sure, let's stick with "Haha, <thing>" and apply it to laptops.
Wanna upgrade your GPU? "Haha, your GPU is either soldered to the motherboard or is a MXM card that is soled to the OEM only and can only be bought by some dodgey reseller on the other side of the world for an eye watering price. You will probably have to find a really specific model of card and you may have to mod the cooling system too."
Wanna upgrade ram? "Haha, your ram may be partly or fully soldered to the board. If partly, you'll be able to replace one stick and leave a chunk of potential capacity on the table. If fully, you're shit out of luck pal. Did we mention that some systems can have product revisions where they'll go from being fully ram upgradable to being partly soldered and the only way you find out is by opening it up yourself?"
What about a CPU upgrade? "Haha, No. Not without extremely specialized equipment, specialized skills to go with said equipment and a trip to our buddy the dodgy reseller again for the laptop CPU."
Yeah Okay... I guess I'll just... I dunno stick a spinning drive in here for my photos/videos/music so I'm not filling up the primary SSD, you know? "Haha, There are only m.2 slots in here, so you better pay up for another SSD. You want a 2.5" drive bay? Sure we can do that, we'll just have to take a big chunk of your battery capacity."
My keyboard broke, so I'll just fit this new one and. "Haha, you'll enjoy taking the entire motherboard out, disconnecting everything, remembering where everything went and plugged in so that when you unscrew the broken keyboard, melt the adhesive holding it in and replace it you can put it all back together again. Of course, you could just get an external keyboard but then you're defeating the purpose of a laptop in the first place."
This Haha also applies to batteries and screens.
Finally...
You bought a modern mac? "Haha, Tim Cook shows up and beats you to death with an inflatable replica of the T2 chip if you even think of repairing or upgrading anything. You own nothing... you own nothing... you own nothing... He intones face set in an expressionless mask as he slowly beats the life from your body with a thing that shouldn't be able to cause damage in the first place."
Of course you could just buy one of those giant ass CLEVOs filled with desktop hardware, but everything in them is running in eco mode and cooling the hardware even in that state still generates about 60 dBA of noise.