Re: The Jeopardy topic

The show came about in part due to the 1950s quiz show scandals when it emerged shows like 21 and Dotto were rigged. Merv Grifin's wife came up with the idea and said hey, why not give them the answers. Merv said that's why they got sent to jail (which is a popular miscconception, nobody actually went to jail over the scandal), but his wife explained no, the contestants get answers, they give the questions. Which was and is a novel concept. It was originally run in the 60s/70s with Art Fleming/Don Pardo as hosts and was revived, as said in 1984 for Alex Trebek (who hosted a lot of other shows too) as host. Initially it was titled What's The Question, but in a meeting with execs (I forgot if it was CBS or NBC) they were repeatedly asking where the jeopardy was. Merv Grifin had found his new title for the show.

Initially Trebek was very much strict but compare a 1984 episode with a 2014 one, Trebek changed over the years, and lightened up more or less, and the wealth of categories the show covered from 1984 to now is amazing. They have several in jokes, the opera category being one of them, usually alluding to how horrific the category is.

One of my favorite clips is...let me find it a moment.

Trebek: (listing off categories):Off-Limits: X-RATED: RACE-Y HUMOR: THE BIRDS & THE BEES: YOUR MOMMA! CURSE WORDS
Contestant: Oh my!
Trebek: I know, we'll be going of fthe air

That had me cracking up, just the deadpan way Trebek said it was amazingly fun