Thinking to get into text japanese games again.

Hey there everyone
so while reading the topic mata made about various blind/nonblind difficult bosses and seeing alternative magic mentioned in there, I'm thinking to get back into it and new tya story again.
One thing I had throuble with was the stats of equipment around. I know there were manuals explaining the items in japanese, but I never could make google translate translate them properly.
so how do you people manage to check how much protection armor gives  and how much damage you do with a weapon?
I recall that in alternative magic, you had skill levels which could determine the increased damage with a weapon... but I remember that new tya story gave me throuble regarding the items.
can someone help explain this to me? thanks in advance!