Re: Code Dungeon - A FREE hack & slash dungeon crawler

Hey!

I'm sorry to everyone who went to the page to get the free game and signed up to the newsletter without getting a code for the game. I recently gave it a 2$ price tag to incentivize people signing up to an email list for my next game: Monsters of the North, where I use everything I learned from Code Dungeon to make an even more complete experience.
So code dungeon is Technically Free, but the title of this thread that was just revived has become a little misleading.

I've been stuck on a silly problem getting the codes out: I can send normal emails using Mailchimp, but it costs about 30$ a month to send out person-spesific game keys. So right now I'm rolling my own system for this, and sending out keys manually until it's done, but I have been a little bad during the holidays.

so @mojsior, @toto , I'm sending you PM's with gamekeys. Thanks for taking an interest! I'm sorry for the delay.

And @musicalman @68 thanks for the high praise. It really warms my heart reading your experience, and how accurately it matches what I was HOPING the game would do.
I really appreciate the feedback.

To answer some of your questions:

1. The enemy health drops are random, but I believe that different enemies drop health at different rates: Chompers might be the most reliable health source, but I don't remember the exact numbers. Warthogs, on the other hand, can only drop Powerups (if they drop anything at all).

2. That is the gist of it: baiting them out, trying to isolate, and trying to clear out a single enemy quickly. When you learn how the sword combo system works, you can very quickly make short work of chompers and archers.  When you hear the fleshy "hit" sound, quickly press the opposite sword button to perform another strike. You can shave off a lot of time killing an enemy if you do a bunch of successive hits. Note that hitting walls or Warthog armor with a sword will break the combo.

Using this combo system you can try a strategy I call the woodchipper: your sword has an Arc, and when you have a bunch of enemies in front of you and you successfully start hitting them, you can theoretically walk towards the enemies and aggressively trying to activate the left-right combo and hit several of them each hit. effectively using your combo momentum to eviscerate them (EXCEPT FOR Warthogs, because they will destroy this strategy).

If you want to practice this, try hitting torches: when you hear the "hit" sound of your sword going through the torch, press the other sword swing button. You'll notice it's a lot faster than spamming the same sword button over and over. T
his isn't an obvious mechanic explained in-game.

3. Thanks for mentioning the control saving issue: It's been something I've fixed several times, but always comes back. Sorry that's been your experience: I know that stuff is annoying.

And to answer a question you didn't ask:

Each floor has at least 1 secret room with a powerup, and sometimes a bunch of enemies guarding the powerup. I think the secret room on floor 3 is the hardest to find, and hardest to beat.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : toto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : toto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Stealcase_ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Stealcase_ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Stealcase_ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : brad via Audiogames-reflector