Re: Bookrage's choiceofgames reviews

Again I didn't really take prodigal any more or less seriously than most characters in the game, indeed I sort of got that the hole monologuing villain thing wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, or maybe it was that the hero's "tragic past", and the character who played into it was rather blatantly a super hero origin story I don't know.

For me at least, most of the characters here seemed more there just to prop up the story than people I really got connected to, which was why the death of one character and betrayal of another didn't bother me as much, and why I just tended to roll my eyes at most of the preachy moments or in your face characters.

I think I gave it a 7-10 on the rating scale, since I did genuinely enjoy a lot of it, the tactical fights, need to play to your strengths and relationships, the reactions of characters, and the way that the game really did take the journey of having a lot of things fail or only just succeed, only to work out at the end.

It was rollicking good fun as a gamebook, though not the sort of thing I'd care for over much if it were a novel.

Now I need to decide whether to go straight on to hero project or try something else first.