Re: Any accessible roguelikes with overworlds?

It looks like Cataclysm does what I need, in that you can travel around on multiple scales. I'll try to get a VM up and running so I can play this, but would someone mind explaining how vehicles and movement work so I can chew on ideas in the meantime? I've been reading the wikis I've found but there isn't anything that helps me figure things out from first principles.

In particular, there seems to be a larger world map, where one tile is something like 24X24 player sizes. I'm guessing vehicles move on these tiles? I'm trying to figure out how that interacts with a) movement and b) encounters. I.e.:

1. Do you have to press, say, up arrow again and again and again to drive? Or does that start some sort of real-time mode where you continue driving/traveling until something, or you, interrupt?

2. How does driving on the larger map interact with, say, getting swarmed by zombies and having to interact with them, potentially leaving your vehicle because it's gotten swarmed?

I know I can figure all this out myself, but presumably I'll have to figure out enough of the game to get to the point where I have a vehicle to experiment with, which given it's a survival roguelike, isn't something I can exactly jump in and answer right away. Hence my asking. smile

Thanks.