Re: sending my trek in for repares. How fun!

Yeah, you really, really shouldn't have used an amazon package.
To answer your other questions though, it's actually a lot simpler than you think. I'm not sure entirely how this works, but DPD will actually take a picture of the box when you give it to them and it will be logged by their system that way, so you don't actually need the RMA / shipping number or whatever at all. I was concerned about this myself when sending my own trek in, but the hole process was really simple and I didn't have to do anything special at all.