Re: Minecraft as a totally blind player.

Cool stuff. Here are some thoughts:

We already have verticals and gap detection with a lot of the platformers, e.g. 2D Platform (which I really wish would come back because it was honestly pretty fun), BK3, stuff like that. Inventory section stuff should be fairly doable. Similarly, continuous textures, I don't see what the big deal is. If block A and block B essentially fuse, you just have block C is a wider and/or taller block. Flying honestly seems like the toughest thing so far. That might be some sort of new interface, e.g. finding where you want to go with a camera/map explorer mode, and teleporting to it, if it's reachable.

I mean, I'm not saying this solves every problem, or that it's necessarily something that you can do with mods alone. I'm just saying, I don't see a conceptual problem with any of these things, like vertical position and gap detection and things like that. Mouse usage could be a problem, as well as a fully 3D map, I could see that being confusing, I don't tend to like them much.

Also, I admit that if you did a lot of this with a camera/map explorer sort of mode, you know so you can, say, work out where wheat is and then walk through it, that might not be a hell of a lot of fun for people. But again, conceptually speaking, I really feel like all of the stuff mentioned is mostly solved in various audio games that we already have. Again, maybe you can't implement all of this purely via mods, and it really would require the company rewriting or adding significant amounts of code. Then, as a practical matter, yeah, it's probably not happening.

But just in terms of what you'd need to do to make the stuff that's been laid out accessible? I feel like we've already got the toolkit to hand, as it were. So say you're building a fence. I assume you put a post on an available block, and then put a post next to it, and so on. Either that or, since you mentioned stretching them, put a post at X and a post at Y, i.e. the two ends of your fence, and then pick one post and do the stretching action. OK,so you just make sure you can walk the fence's path, drop a post where you start, go to the end, dropping posts if necessary, drop a post, and either you're done if you've dropped posts, or you activate the stretch, which sure might need some sort of special interface to do.

Same thing with building. If you get to a cliff, you get to whatever vertical position however you get there, start laying blocks or digging them out, whatever you do. Start building. You should be able to move around on the cliff, and if you can't, that means you've got an impassable block. Similarly, should be simple enough to inspect your walls for gaps by essentially walking along them. None of that seems particularly difficult.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : magurp244 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : magurp244 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Gamulation via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : MatthewSmithYT via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector