how to associate my python programme with a filetype

greetings everyone,
I just randomly got this question, and haven't quite found some complete answer yet, lets say I have just made a superpower type of files that could do what no one did or can do but how ever I am stil too stupid to associate it to be opened on my programme, so, lets  name my extention, hmm
I just said it! .hmm, good file extention
so, I want my programme's users to be able to select my app with the open with dialog just like they do with vlc for example, but this time with the file extention .hmm, and whenever  they open a file with my programme it lawnches my programme and pass it the file path, for example
I press enter on file.hmm
it does that then
hmm_opener c:\users\hmm\downloads\file.hmm
is that possible?
thanks