Re: is what I’m doing even considered programming?

@28 your gripes with node.js seem to be entirely with using it as a web service backend. I've never used it for that and all the points you made are probably right. if I needed reliable concurrency, I wouldn't reach for node either.

however, as I wrote, where node provides a lot of value is when working on front end code and being able to use things like typescript and webpack. also it's quite nice for automation, as I've discovered recently, but that probably comes down to my preference for FP style, which js supports quite well, but python just doesn't, since the syntax makes lambdas totally impractical.

also in your example, g isn't a lambda. a lambda, also known as an anonymous function, isn't assigned to any name. it is just a function literal, the same way 1 is a number literal.

my problem with python lambdas isn't the ref count thing from the other thread. it is just how they aren't actually practical due to their syntax and can really only be used for one-line functions. I don't even blame python devs for not coming up with a better lambda syntax, as I can't think of one that would work for python.