Re: Sable - A code free tool for creating RPG's (New 1.4 change log added)

Paul, a but thou must situation is, as threeblacknoises pointed out, a situation where an NPC asks a question to which there's only one correct answer, and choosing the other choice would result in an infinite loop where the character would ask the question again and again until the player chose the correct answer. Usually these were yes/no questions where yes was the correct answer. The reason some mainstream gamers refer to this as a but thou must situation is because of the original dragon warrior game on the old Nintendo, which was released as Dragon Quest in Japan and I believe Europe and the UK as well. Anyway, one of the tasks the player was asked by the king to complete was to rescue his daughter from a dragon. Well when you finally found her she would ask you to take her home. If you said no she would respond with "but thou must!" and then ask you again and again until you agreed. The same thing would happen later if you talked to her after she was safe at home. She would ask you if you loved her and if you said no she would say "but thou must!" and continue to ask until you said yes. The funny thing is, the first Manamon game from VGStorm actually features a but thou must situation during a post-battle conversation with I believe the fourth stadium leader. Like I said, this is just a curiosity thing more than anything, although I have thought of including a few instances of it in my game for comic relief as a nod to Dragon Warrior. I don't know if the current games in the series still use the trope but I know that at least up until part three they still did.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : toto via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector