Re: preferred cane techniques?

@4, if you mean smaller/bigger tip, that's not necessarily the case. Bigger tips are by and large designed for harsh terrains. What makes a good tip is primarily the form and material. The size of the cane should be proportional to your tallness. For instance, I'm 6.07 feet (185 cm) and my cane is around 5.25 feet (160 cm).
The most important thing first of all, is if you come to like the cane, then you're good to go. If you don't like it, it's difficult to comfortably walk with it, since it can distract you at certain moments.
My preference for canes is having a simple, light and easily foldable piece. No need for extra shiny fancy materials that do not add much to what one is using. When I started mobility training, my trainer, who also provides the canes for me, showed me some canes to see which one I liked. There was a cane produced by a company in Hamburg, Germany. It was extra light but I didn't like the handle and the folding pieces because it just wouldn't fit in my laptop bag. How much did it cost? Well, around 500 dollars. Crazy enough price not to consider it. Then I got one that cost 290 dollars, but of course I didn't pay for it because it was covered by the health insurance company. I'm satisfied with it, but that fancy thing has the price tag on it.