Re: Suggestions for Wayfar 1444 relaunch welcome

I'm not bashing muds.  I'm pointing out that they're all but dead, and not coming back.  There's a difference.  Muds on the whole are a good thing for us.  I got a lot of enjoyment out of them until I eventually realized that they're even worse than the stereotypical MMOs where someone plays for hours and hours for real-life money when it comes to doing the same thing repeatedly and watching numbers go up, but that took 10 years of my life and is thus on the whole worth it, since 10 years of fun isn't something to sneeze at by any means (and I imagine the same can be said for those stereotypical MMOs: it takes a long time for the originality of that sort of thing to wear off).

They've also got a quite venerable history being as all the earliest ones came out of universities, and any MMO player anywhere is only playing an MMO because muds proved the concepts.  I don't know whether it's an urban legend or not, but supposedly Everquest was inspired by Diku, and if that's true--well, Everquest is still going 20 years after it first opened.  I've even got a coworker who ran one once upon a time (not still up; I don't know which; probably not notable. If you were in your late teens or 20s in the 90s that was just a thing that programmer university nerds etc. did).

Hell, let's all remember a rape in cyberspace: http://www.juliandibbell.com/articles/a … yberspace/

But that doesn't change the fact that few if any of them are built using sustainable software development practices, that moo is a terrible platform to be building off of if you want anything other than a chat server with added scripting and maybe the occasional player-written text adventure, that most people who could do better have dayjobs, that few if any of them have any sort of plan for longevity, and that the best that can be hoped for is that they hold steady in terms of players.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : JaceK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : LordLundin via Audiogames-reflector