Design Strategy: Following Party.

Hi,
SO in a lot of RPG games, you'll have a party, but when you're not out of combat, they'll just not be visible. I was wondering, would there be a possibility of having the other party members actually follow you around the maps. My mains worries are thus:

  • In an audio based game, the footsteps behind you would be loud and distracting:

    • A way to solve this may be to use a concept I talked about in a topic before about Sound Queues, where the order of sounds, if you have 10 footsteps, is determined randomly where no number repeats, played in that order, and then reshuffled. I feel like there would have to be a lot of footsteps per surface, so that it doesn't end up reshuffling to fast so you don't keep hering the same steps sound over and over. In an Rpg system, this could be helped with armor/clothing clinks or rustles being added in to add variety.

  • Characters moving at different speed. This could just be left out, but if someone is walking in Plate Mail, they're going to move slower than someone in Leather Armor. This means that the player has the opurtunity to leave behind other characters, which also means that travel would be slowed suggnificantly, if the players were forced to make sure the characters kept up.

Any game design ideas for something like this? By the way, I'm not looking for code, simply bouncing ideas.