Re: Lioden: A Browser Lion Sim

Okay, as I'm trying to catch up on some needed db entries (and because some recent information about world wildlife preservation week reminded me of this game), I thought I'd give this one another try, and see how dark claw is doing.

I was considering making a new topic, since I know random threadcromancy has been a bit of a thing recently, but on reflection I think perhaps having all of the information in the one place might be a good thing, and hopefully also forstall a lot of the "what the heck is this game", type of questions, so in this instance I'll attempt to employ the dark and dismal power of Thradcromancy on the side of good big_smile.

First, as I said previously, I believed there was an accessibility issue since I couldn't find any descriptions for what the in game items did.
Well the answer is I couldn't find them because they aren't there!

Yes that's right, unique I think in any web based rpg I've ever seen, Lioden actually doesn't! have any way of telling what the various items are before you buy them.
However, there is The item catalogue, found here, which actually does exactly that.
So, want to know what a shop, such as the gorilla's enclave sells?Just use the dropdown to select in the catalogue, ( or should that be a lionlogue?, and hit display.

Also, the other reason a lot of items don't have descriptions or apparent uses, is that a lot of items just are! there to change a lion's appearance, since in this game, it seems a huge amount of time goes into the aesthetics.

These are sort of aprpeciable in terms of being told the skin, eye and maine colours for your lions, and sort of via the graphics that describe them, albeit some text description would be nice.
Still, for people bent on just exploring the landscape and building their pride, a lot of the appearance items are less consequential.
Also, take note of the various filter options and the dropdown in the hoard tab, indeed a quick way to see my pride is well fed and happy is to simply find food/amusement items, and use the dropdown to see which of my lions might need them, rather than needing to use the tables on the pride overview.

Now, impression: impressing lionesses is actually possible to do. Unfortunately, you don't get a textual description of the metres involved, but can usually tell from the text of the way the lioness reacts to your actions. I haven't %100 worked out how all of the actions correspond to the different lioness personalities, or how best to capitalise on them, accept purring, but I have had some success and Dark claw now has four wives, albeit none are ready to start making little dark claws quite yet big_smile.

It's also quite possible to change lioness orders directly from the "update lion" hotspot on each lioness's page, where you can set them to go on hunts for you.

Now on to the few miner issues.

I still have not been able to change any of the in game settings successfully, even "toggle tips", which is very annoying since it gives an irritating popup every time I go to my hoard, or even change the filters. I clikc the text, and then click save, but nothing seems to alter, which is irritating, but livable with.

What is slightly more irritating is the hunt display, since there is no indication once you click a region to hunt in and have checked which lionesses you want to hunt there, which region has been selected, though you can always do this by memory.

Unfortunately, several of the minigames seem very graphical, so are thus inaccessible, on the other hand, as these are minigames that is hardly crucial.

Other than that, the game seems very accessible, since where graphical information is lacking, it's either possible to dope out from the text, (EG though the map labels aren't great, they are at least numbered telling you which one to go for at which level), , or get a good idea from the graphics.

Hopefully some of these hints will help, and I'll have another poke around and see what else I can find out.