Re: A game to add to the data base

Smugglers 2 was entirely inaccessible, due to the items and ship equipment screens being unusable, which is exactly why it does not have a db page.

In all of the other smugglers games, all the information you need is there on screen, none is missing and there is nothing to learn,at most you have to occasionally right click on something to see a full description, and of course that access is built directly in to smugglers 4 plus thanks to the blind compatibility mode. The issue in Smugglers is getting to the text and knowing which things to click on, which often require less used screen reader commands, EG moving between objects in NVDA.

admittedly, I am not sure how much access varies with different screen readers, since I've heard the games worked less well with Jaws than with Supernova or NVD~A.

The issue in quest to the core, is that as opposed to battle arena, the map screen is literally inaccessible, in that you cannot see which squares are what, so will walk into walls, or into traps and must basically play guess work. Yes, there is an awesome guide, but you still can't pick up the game and play it without following this guide, and the guide won't help you if you happen not to be looking at it, and of course, as with Battle arena, the combat screen also is a little cluttered and takes a bit of getting used to to work out what you need to click to do what.

I'd definitely agree the game is "playable", but "accessible", in terms of sighted and blind players having the same amount of access to information in the game, that I'm not as certain about at this stage.

I'm also a little concerned that if quest to the core gets added, people will wrongly assume the other games in the series have similar access problems, especially because people are likely to start at the start.

Again, if anyone else has in put on this I'd be interested to hear.