Re: Pfizer or Oxford?

Okay, this is the moment where I wave my hands and ask that we dial it back. I'm not asking for you to stop talking, but maybe scale things down a little. I'm not even doing so with my admin face on, but I will if I have to. And no, this isn't targeted.
Ethin, I think you're getting really hot about this in a way you sometimes do. Just cool it. I happen to agree with you, but you're not in the best position.
Ghost, please stop using the worst of a situation to represent the entire situation.

Re: sentience:
Generally, sentience is self-awareness. A rat may not know what it's seeing if you show it a mirror, but it knows it has to eat, has to keep its family safe. It's trying to survive just like you and I. If you pick up a rat and shake it, it'll try to bite you. If you slice its leg open, it will squeal in pain and then probably lick its wound. A rat is aware of its surroundings to a great enough degree that your argument about sentience falls on its face.
You mention the people I have pushed to make big decisions. What about the literally millions of insects I have forced to abandon wherever it was they'd landed (say, to get food) while I walk through long grass? Never mind the thousands I've killed over the years, for no other reason than that they land on me and annoy me. Now, this is slippery-slope territory, and I recognize it, but I want you to think really, really big picture here for a sec.
Take humans out of the equation. There is no other species currently alive that is affecting the earth nearly as much as humans. If you just deleted all humans, and all sign of human presence, tomorrow, that'd obviously suck for human progress, but for the planet itself, it would be an enormous net improvement. Taken in that light, any efforts we make to try and prolong human life or spread ourselves out further are purely selfish, and are probably going to result in us destroying our home eventually. No other species destroys its home in quite this way.
What was that you were saying about sentience? We are not even self-aware enough to realize what we're doing. That, or we're too monstrous to stop. Please don't talk about ethics anymore. You are wavering wildly from position to position, and clearly have only an armchair sociologist's understanding, which is not up to the task of defending yourself on multiple fronts like this.

I'm done here, unless I have to moderate.