Re: tips on lucid dreaming?

Funnily enough, Star Trek: Voyager was what introduced me to the concept of lucid dreaming. This is from the episode Waking Moments.

CHAKOTAY: Has anybody seen this species before? While you were awake, I mean. Seven?
SEVEN: He doesn't resemble any species assimilated by the Borg.
PARIS: So is he just a figment of our imagination?
TORRES: If he is, we've all been imagining the exact same thing.
TUVOK: One possible explanation is that he's attempting to make telepathic contact.
JANEWAY: He's doing more than making contact. We've got six crewmembers who can't wake up. For all we know it's some sort of attack.
SEVEN: From where? Astrometric scans haven't revealed any ships in this vicinity, or planets capable of sustaining humanoid life.
PARIS: So where do we look?
CHAKOTAY: In our dreams. That's the only place any of us have seen him, right? So if we want to communicate with him, find out what he wants, we'll have to do it on his terms.
TUVOK: How do you propose we do that?
CHAKOTAY: Lucid dreaming.
TORRES: What's that?
CHAKOTAY: It's a technique which allows you to take control of your dream.
PARIS: That happened to me once. I dreamt I was falling and suddenly I realised that I was dreaming, and I could fly, land, do whatever I wanted. I was in complete control of the dream.
CHAKOTAY: What happened to you by accident is something some people can do by design. I've been able to have a lucid dream by using the same technology I use for a vision quest. I may be able to use it to communicate with this alien.
JANEWAY: Maybe so, but how do we know you'd be able to wake up again?
CHAKOTAY: It's kind of like self-hypnosis. Before I go to sleep, I choose a visual cue, something to let me know I'm dreaming. Earth's moon, say. Once I see it, I can wake myself by tapping the back of my hand three times.