Re: an internet speed question

hi sebby,
it might be right to deny speed if you have simply no use for it and if it comes at a much higher cost
for example a 25 megabit connection is more than enough for my data needs (30-40 gb month)
do the issues you listed exist with docsis 3.0
the cable internet company in turkey usually has a good reputation since they are not wide spread and not a monopoly like the dsl provider they offer excellent service to keep customers
another reason why i'd want cable is that you usually get all of your advertised speed in adition to getting more speed than dsl
for example with dsl you get upto 8 or 16 mbit the upto explains everything
whatever your  line supports
i've heard stories of people getting 2 megabit for the 8 megabit package
in adition to that the customer  support for the dsl provider is horrible
we had a general issue in my area and it took 6 days of calling and filing problem reports to get someone t o actually fix it
it would've been 7 if I hadn't shouted at the rep that I would go to consumer court if they didn't fix it
you rarely get issues in most areas but if you do, good luck getting them to fix it
the cable company on the other hand responds vary fast
cable picture quality suddenly became poor once
we called customer support at around 10 p.m they imidiately dispatched a emergency repair team to fix the problem
the guys showed up 20-30 minutes later and did something with the box which fixed the problem
though they might have slightly more outages, they aren't significant
also price is a consideration
the dsl provider has a monopoly and regularly raises the price by at least 7% each december or january
they even have a notice posted on the business packages page that each year there will be at least a 7% price increase with all packages
the cable company on the other hand drops prices regularly to compete with the dsl provider
I don't know about vdsl
but I know that when fiber is rolled out  the isp will automaticly upgrade everyone at the same price
I think that includes fiber to the node vdsl
so the upgrades happen automaticly
and if you switch on your own you get a much higher price
but if you are upgraded automaticly all quota and pricing remains the same
sorry for the long post