Virtual reality and virtual worlds?

I have played Alter Aeon and swamp among other audio based games. The more I think about it, what would virtual reality mean to each of us. What would it take to create a virtual world that each of us takes part in and what will it look like? Will it take form in a way that looks a lot like the holodeck off of star trek? What brings this up is listening to them on the "this week in tech" show talking about the Oculus Rift thing some and I got to thinking that it would be nice to have something like that in the blind community. Another thing that comes to mind is the whole google glass thing, but that is more of an overlay to what you seeing around you. Think heads up display. Any thoughts? Don't just restrict this to games. If you think it could be useful in other areas, let's talk about it...