Re: a few complaints about the blind comunity

[[wow]] Enes I never realized the government was so nice in Turkey as regards providing financial assistance or requiring companies to do so.

Here in Britain, bus passes are free in some counties but not others sinse bus travel is administered by the county councel not the government at large and different councels have different ideas. There are disabled rail cards, but given the state of Britains very silly train system (we really do have the worst administered trains in europe), they only have some effect and are honoured on some services due to the many companies and confusing regulations that vary train travel.

For the Metro again it depends where you are. Newcastle metro is free, or at least they accept the free bus pass, but in London they certainly aren't. It would actually be helpful if the British government did indeed lay down some laws on this rather than leaving the decisions up to local councel's by laws.

I am also frankly amazed! to hea r that in Turkey companies must sell blind people tv and phone packages for less, again, very much not the case over here, ---- even tv licenses which are paid to the government directly rather than to sky, virgin or one of the other companies have no reduction for blind people, (they used to but that changed in the late nineties).

This however illustrates the problem of saying "If I am legally entitled to something I will take it" sinse manifestly different countries have different laws which may allow for different things and when either campaigning that a law should be changed, or simply asking for something to which a person should be entitled even if the law hasn't caught up to that yet there doo need to be some higher moral principles in place.

For example, there is unfortunately no law! that says a game developer must make their game accessible, yet there are some very good ethical arguements as to why they should, equal access etc.

this is why I tend to think we need to sort out some reasonable personal ideas of what is equal access and what is unfare entitlement, sinse unfortunately the law isn't adequate to the task, it certainly should be, but that is not currently the case, and frequently it will be up to each individual blind person to argue the toss on her/his own.

@Cx2, there did used to be a similar reduction on licenses, essentially because if you couldn't see the tv you weren't getting your money's worth, but this was done away with in the nineties and unfortunately I don't see the government standing up to rupert merdock and the other fat cats any time soon.