nintendo 3ds/2ds: how usable are they?

Hi all,
So I know that people have been playing pokémon x and y, and that gets to making me think, how easy is the console (3ds or 2ds) to use?
I ask this because the recently released smash bros got me very hyped, and after Christmas I may try buying either a 3ds or 2ds.
Add to the fact that they can play classic ds games, I'll have quite a big library to choose from. Rhythm Heaven, captain america, plus the 3ds stuff like dead or alive dimensions, blazblue continuum shift extend, and of course the new smash bros, and maybe one of the new pokémon games.
I'm guessing I'd obviously need sighted help to set it up, unless I can create nintendo ID and such from online, or is that wii u only?