Re: Books by Stephen King

@Cinnamon, I found King hard enough to read in braille let alone  with a synth! One thing about King is his writing has a distinct rythm and flow especially on the scary bits, and you just don't get that with a synthetic voice even a good one, plus of course there is the sheer time King takes to build up to things which can drag if you've not got a human to listen to.

Doctor Sleep was okay, but as I said earlier in this topic, I disliked how Danny sort of became sidelined for Abra, and Abra I just didn't like at all, she felt totally cardboard, indeed the only interesting thing about her was! her powers. The true Knot had the makings of convincing enemies, but I wanted more background on them or at least more hints of what they'd been up to and where they were from.

@Tom, I'd agree on It being one of King's best, and that King often does well with short stories, although I have trouble separating out which story belongs where. I par ticularly enjoyed his story "in the death room" about the executioner, especially the cheerful man with his electricution machine, and I still think Crouch end is a favourite even if King does make some quite amusing mistakes with English culture, ---- I love how he writes "Tenpence!" as though it was the old "sixpence" from the Imperial currency days, when actually we call them ten pence! (two separate words), or more commonly ten p.

I would've said his cockney slang was a little off, accept that I did really meet a cockney cab driver who used the phrase "lovely jovely!" Though to be honest what I enjoyed in the story was that sort of twisting of reality which King was so good at in many of his books, just taking something ordinary and exaggerating the angles and descriptions until it's extremely creey before the monster even appears. It did this wonderfully, but so have several King novels.

Black House again I really want to read for the Dark Tower links, however I only got a copy of it recently. On the bachman stuff, I enjoyed the running man, though i wanted to read that more because of how much I remember liking the Arnald Shwartzanigger film than anything else, and while the book was naturally very different I still really liked it. I also appreciated The Regulators for how quickly that jumped streight into the story. I remember hearing somewhere that King himself was experimenting under the Bachman name and in some ways it seems his experiments worked better than some of his usual stuff.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jason SW via Audiogames-reflector