Re: Making Memory Train in Pure Basic

Guitarman, you don't have to work with Orca directly on Linux. In fact, if a game developer wants to gain TTS output on Linux the library people want is called Speech-dispature which is a global TTS interface for all things speech enabled.

Universal Speech, so far as I know, is not yet Linux compatible. However, to be honest it isn't necessary. Speech-Dispatcher is good enough for that.

Camlorn, I'd say 10% of blind computer users over 10 different distributions probably isn't far wrong, but there are ways of managing it. I have been using and developing Linux software for many years and there are ways around the number of different distributions in use. The main one is try and use libraries and other toolkits common to all Linux distributions which one can reasonably find on a target machine. I know for example if a blind person is using Linux they will likely have Speech-Dispatcher and Espeak installed so can use that as a default for speech outpu t. I figure they have SDL or can install that so its another API I can rely upon for games. There are various other things I can be certain to work out of the box on almost any Linux distribution so its not as bad as you make it seem.

As far as licensing goes that can be tricky. Of course, if your game or project is open source definitely no problem. If a game is commercial or closed source then the developer needs to check licenses and be sure the library or toolkit they are using is under the LGPL not the GPL which allows them to use it in commercial projects without requiring the product to be open source. It is, however, one reason commercial companies are not interested in supporting Linux, because far too much is under the GPL meaning they can not create commercial software without reinventing the wheel by creating commercial libraries for their software.