Re: Introductions

Hi folks

My name is Dan and I'm a PhD student working with Somethin' Else, the London, England based team who developed Papa Sangre etc. I am also a developer on the upcoming Audio Defence game.

I wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask you all for some crucial feedback. I'm looking for people's opinions on audio games that feature a visual interface over audio games that do not (games that are 'pure' audio, in the true definition of pure). As anyone who has played the Somethin' Else games will know, the games feature a visual interface in order to navigate the menus such as level select and control configuration. The in-game interface also features icons that indicate the direction the player is currently facing and the buttons to press in order to move the character forward.

This is a useful interface as, using the iOS middleware VoiceOver, we can create an accessible layer above this interface which gives a flexibilit y to the interface and, providing that the interactive elements have an associated accessible attribute, the same interface may be used by all players simply by interacting with the device's touch screen.

While this works and is great, I wonder how we might do better. Has anyone played any audio games that have been more strenuously gesture based (a la Nintendo Wii) rather than touch-screen gestures? Also, how would people feel about physical based games (for example, an audio game implemented with wearables and one that you played with friends in the physical world. An MMO game that extended the digital space and allowed players to cross the digital rubicon so to speak.)

To sum up, this post is to say hello to all and to source feedback on what the future of audio games may be like. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan