Re: Monthly chat November

Hi Aaron.

Ah, I didn't realize Joss Wheaden was involved with agents of shield, that certainly bumps it up the list of stuff to watch. I initially only saw a couple of episodes of Buffy when it was being shown in the early 2000's, and was less than impressed, however I absolutely loved! Firefly, a truly fantastic sf series, which got me interested in trying Buffy out.

Glad you  liked Spirited Away. Pretty much anything by Studio Gibly is awsome and very surreal, especially considering they're basically run by Miazaki who is just god! I have loved everything I've seen, from their original and surreal things like Spirited away and Kiki's delivery service and the very famous Princess Mononoke, to their reimaginings of popular books.

Spirited away I liked for just how wonderfully surreal it was, sort of a dark version of Alice in Wonderland, and Yibaba the wtich is just plane scary (appologies for mangled spellings).

I find it interesting Gibly have also done some films based on popular fantasy books. All of them have not exactly been like the books, but all have been awsome. These include Arietti based on The Borrowers, (probably the most faithful to the book, but actually rather better sinse I found the book a little dull), Howl's moving castle, ---- which is rather different and was written slightly as an anti iraq war film, though is fun none the less even if the characters are far nicer and less engagingly selfish than Wynne Jone's originals. Also, Wizard of Earthsea, ---- yes Earthsea got the miazaki treatment! Well at least the third and fourth books did, as the film combines the story from The Farthest Shore and Tehanu.

This tends to get bashed by fans, but I enjoyed it myself, then again I was less than impressed with Tehanu anyway, and having it Miazakified was a definite improvement (particularly sinse it missed out on Leguin's very dismal feminism which made up most of the book).

Either way, Spirited away is fantastic, just like the rest of Miazaki's and Gibly's work. I particularly like thee scene where the little girl (who's name I won't attempt to spell), is having to run home before all the lights are lit, and is running up the steps while the little spider creatures behind her are setting the street lamps alight. A lovely moment and fantastically surreal. A friend of mine actually said she didn't get Spirited away because she thought it was too heavily based on Japanese mythology, what with the river Dragon and other slightly unusual elements, but I never found that myself, I just took it as a fantasy world with it's own logic and rules that was a bit alien, but all the more interesting because of that.