Re: How do screen readers work when there's a console and a normal window?

OK, before we all keep arguing here: should I just drop messing with voice settings altogether (i.e. go with the defaults always)? I mean, it feels weird having a female character speak with a male voice, but should I just leave it at that or what?

Also, does anybody know how to use SAPI with MinGW-w64? (I don't care about vanilla MinGW) Because it turns out that apparently I don't have the relevant files, although looking around it does seem like there's an implementation of SAPI for MinGW-w64 (not to mention Qt apparently having it as well, QtCreator using MinGW). I think the problem is that it was only added recently to MinGW-w64 (so it's not in the Ubuntu repo yet) and I'm trying to figure out where are the relevant files to install them.

Sebby wrote:

You're trying to judge the quality of a TTS synthesiser by how "Natural" it sounds precisely illustrates the problem; accu racy and speed are higher up on the list than "Naturalness", at least in typical screen-reading applications (but ironically, often not in games, which usually only output short, predictable and oft-used sentences).

Again, I explicitly said that speed does not account my definition of naturalness (that's just a synth setting!), and in fact for the record, that Axel synth you linked is pretty much the prime example of what I'd consider natural. For the record, I actually cranked up the synth speed here because I found it too slow, and that's despite not being accustomed to it and being horrible at understanding spoken English (it isn't my first language).

And for the record yes, I was talking about the context of games, where having characters sound like people (synthesis tweaking aside) affects how we perceive the game (in a productivity application you just want to know what's on screen). Although beware, wh en characters talk you may want to speed it up because text is longer but understanding it 100% exactly isn't a priority.

EDIT: is it safe to assume that a Windows system with a screen reader installed already has sapi.dll as well? (at least those screen readers that work with SAPI anyway)

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector