Re: Learning iTunes.

I don't really get what you mean about vertical intigration and startrek, (what does vertical intigration mean anyway?. Startrek was basically a database of shared common files with voice control and social interaction, nothing that scifi really, indeed if I had a voice interaction unit for my pc I could already say "play Harry potter and the goblet of fire" and have that done, and I can already tell Siri "phone my brother" and it'll do that. It strikes me a lot of the bennifits of the Apple network system like having all your stuff on a central cloud location and access from any smaller device really aren't worth much in a world where data storage is so easy, heck, if I bought a 4 tb passport drive I could have the contents of my pc anywhere I wanted. Unfortunately, Apple's advertising has conned people into believing that Apple's centralization policy is far more inervative than it actually is, and discouraged people from manual opera tion as you said, even though the manual operation really isn't that difficult. This is why I call Apple's intigration system a streight jacket, and why i find it rather hard to consider any real advantages to the system that compensate for the enslavement to one program, one organization method and one company, ---- indeed Huxley seems looming with that sort of thinking especially with the rather worrying tendency I've seen in some social quarters to Deyify Apple.

As to playback sinking, well the victor is great at holding position in multiple playing items which is one thing I like, and I don't see the point in sincronized playback across multiple devices when i can carry one small one around with me, ---- heck, even if I did! for example want to continue listening to the same audio file on my desktop and victor it'd be easy enough to just hit ctrl j in Winamp and input the time, ---- indeed this is what I mean about centralization, why go through a ll the hassle of having all that sincing nonsense and being forced to bow to Apple when jumping to a particular time in a playing file takes exactly 7 key strokes, (ctrl j, four numbers separated by a colon and enter).

For the remote business, well as I said, why should I bother trying to access my computer remotely when I can just copy stuff across? centralized access seems like a solution for a problem that hasn't existed sinse the early 2000's. Heck, I could even just buy a 4 tb passport drivewith everything on it  and bung it into the Victor's usb connector if I wished (it'd kill the battery but it certainly would be possible).

What exactly is air play?

I doubt apple will ever allow free access to files because then you know, people might be playing things they haven't bought from Apple! which to be honest is actually partly why I suspect the Itunes system is as closed as it is, and why it's so hard to intigrate with anythin g else. Indeed this is sort of what bothers me for the Apple worship sinse while people in the past used to be very quick on accusing Microsoft of attempting a monopoly people are far less quick as levelling the same accusations at Apple even though Apple are actually approaching being worse, (although microsoft's recent direction with the windows store etc isn't exactly an improvement either).

As to speakers on the Victor, well I do the same as I did when I was using my Iphone. If I am listening to music or audio drama, my Sanheisa earbuds are the thing, (though when I'm in my flat I'll use my Sanheisa momentum headphones sinse sound quality wise they're awsome even if a bit large and expensive to carry aroujd the country). However if it's just an audio book, ie, just a voice the victor speaker like the Iphone before it serves fine as sound quality in that case doesn't bother me too much so long as the words and tone are audible.

I h ave been known to fall asleep wearing headphones or earbuds, though generally a life time of listening to audio books insures that I can't sleep with audio running so I don't tend to worry. it'd be easy enough however to pick up a reasonable set of speakers for the Victor if you wanted to. I personally am more a fan of headphones than speakers. I have some pretty good logitech 5.1 ones attached to my computer for general background in my flat or to play to friends, but for something as personal as listening to music or audio dramas on the victor I much prefer headphones, and as good headphones as possible.