Re: Persistent PC nonsense

Keeping in mind that you are decidedly better at this than me, so this might be useless advice:
I would try and hunt down the source of the EVIL! explorer.exe, et al. If th normal explorer.exe is still running, then there is either another process with the same name, or the malware is screwing with parameters or injecting itself after running or something.
I'm not really sure how to use all the in-depth features of task manager, and those seem to have been changing with each windows version, so I have no idea how hard this would be. Maybe just searching your harddrive for explorer.exe? It will turn up loads of false positives, but if you can find anything that appears out of place, it might be useful.