Re: bios update: to update or not to update

If your computer simply suffered a brown out that would indeed be the case, however I had a friend whose laptop optical drive became unusable after a power surge from the wall. Laptops may be better protected from drops in current or voltage from the wall but not so much from spikes, and there's always that little risk of something becoming corrupted during the flashing process.

Given that the machine in question was stated to be running smooth as a baby's behind I see no reason to bother. Like I said performance gains probably wouldn't be noticeable if they exist at all which isn't guaranteed, it depends on the individual update's content like with OS updates, and new BIOS features tend to be make or break where you either need them to run your system at all or else you're not likely to take advantage of them ever. Read the update notes and see if there is anything in there that would make it worth doing, judge based on that rather than just as suming newer is better.