Schools for the blind, training centers, and how they perform.

Hi all,
Something that was said in another topic has caused me to attempt to create this post.
Actually, it's a subject that's been occupying a lot of my thoughts lately, for various reasons.

This forum has so many people from all corners of the world, and I think that will make for some fascinating answers.
It often angers me when I see blind people going to a training center, without really reflecting on what exactly they would like to get out of their training, or just because they want to escape a bad situation, or not even trying to research what options are available to them, however limited they may be.
I see kids who go to schools for the blind, who feel that everything in life will come easily to them, and then they are devastated when they graduate and find this isn't the case.
Occasionally, I have the opportunity to speak with people from less developed countries, and they tell me how much harder life is for a blind person ( or any person, for that matter) in those places. I have done so recently, in fact, which is why I've been thinking so much about it as of late.

Now that I've explained my personal investment in this subject, I want to extend this opportunity to anyone who wishes to talk about their experiences at training centers or schools for the blind. Particularly, I'm curious to know what kinds of support of this nature are available in other countries. But I'm by no means excluding US residents, either. You guys have just as much to contribute on this subject, too.
Just a few questions that I can think of, to get the ball rolling, and help you guys understand what I want to know, are:
1. How have you all benefitted from what services were available to you?
2. What do you wish would be done differently?
3. Do you feel that your educational, professional, and personal goals were closer to being achieved because of any services that were provided to y ou?
4. If you did not use any special services, why?

Feel free to expand on those questions, and I sincerely look forward to reading your thoughts.