Re: Schools for the blind, training centers, and how they perform.

Well, I had almost the same, if not worse or better , experience to you guys. Even though I studied in special schools for about 8 years and only on mainstream schools for 2 years (I'm still 14), I think mainstream schools are better, even though they might not have the accomodations like special schools. Then again there's a special unit in the mainstream school... And guess what? We're still! using Perkin braillers in classes every day, carrying them all around and having sighted teachers who knew braille transcribe it! The kids at special school learn much, much slower than normal, and the teachers slowed down just to follow their pace, which annoyed me so. The good thing though, is that my school (The special school) brought us to trips sometimes to foreign countries for free... still mainstream is better. Some people asked me "Well why not go to the special school that's near yoru house?" admitedly the mainstream school is about a 45 minute car r ide from my house, but I said, "I wanna blend in with the society like a normal person. Not just hang around the blind". There are a few blindies in the mainstream school I'm attending, and admitedly they act more like normal people than blindies after they attend mainstream schools! Though I think some of the teachers there are overprotective sometimes, like "hey don't punch each other", even though we did not and just look like we did, and, we're simply playing! Sigh... AND well, te special school had too much accomodation that mobility is almost too easy, but they didn't! teach us how to use canes and such until we're about 11! admitedly my o and M skills are like crap... but that's for another topic. And many more points I won't raise cause this post is getting long and I'm getting tired (wrote this at 11:10 PM... I should've gonne to slep, lol)...