Re: Leasey has been released! Every JAWS user should have Leasey!

Indeed, we'll have to see where this goes, to see whether it will have appeal to "Advanced" users; perhaps if they start relying on APIs to do stuff, it arguably could be the next Chicken Nugget or whatever.

@Camlorn: I see what you're saying, and I'm not arguing with the essential merits of equality. It's very important. But I also think we should be reluctant to overcome problems that are only there because the world doesn't care. As you said, designing to native UIs and APIs has enormously helped to put FS out of business, but as long as there's something we just can't do, or can't do as efficiently, they'll still be around. We of course must try not to perpetuate lock-in, but we must also be mindful of the reality. There are two ways to do this: get the software fixed, or bodge around it. And what I'm saying is that as long as bodging around it is a viable strategy for making people happy, there's somebody who needs a smack for not having fixed it, or developed a free alternative to the LEASEY functionality. I don't like it when the horizons of some potential computing landscape, where computer systems know how to handle their users while allowing them to advance to whatever levels of proficiency and comfort are desired, are impeded merely on the basis that we should conform to the one modality which just happens to be the most common, on account of the fact that it's the one most people (i.e., not us blind) use. That is a terrible tragedy that must be fixed. If products like LEASEY make it possible for people to enjoy the use of their computers while not interfering with their potential, I can't see any harm in it--certainly no more harm than we now endure from products like JAWS or, in some cases, NVDA with the relevant add-ons installed. The real concern, as you intimated, is that this product will turn into yet another "Walled garden" which I agree really would be a Very Bad Thing™.