Re: Looking for a free fantasy adventure game that I can play on my PC

I've been wanting a Kingdom Hearts-style accessible game since... eh, pretty much since I lost the ability to play the inaccessible equivalents.
My attempts to create as much have not been going so well. sad
The JF IM Adventure was supposed to fit in that style (though the setting is a bit... well). Most people can't seem to stand it, for understandable reasons.

As for slightly more playable fantasy adventure games... there are games like Sara and the Castle of Witchcraft and Wizardry (the demo only gets you the first floor), Paladin of the Sky (again, paid with a demo, but the demo is pretty nice--I'd call it a bit longer than, say, the Jampack demo for Threads of Fate or Gauntlet Legends), and if you're willing to put up with setting up and learning to use translation tools, there are several Japanese games that fit your criteria.
I tend to prefer t he realtime adventure stuff to the turn-based menu-driven stuff, which in effect means Sara, Shadow Line (you might also find it under Shadow Rine), and Bokurano Daibouken. The Bokurano Daibouken trilogy is rather diverse all around and never stays cleanly in one category; the first game uses top-down maps but switches to 2D Fighter style for combat; the second one is effectively a sidescrolling hack-and-slash with RPG elements; the third is a 2D platforming RPG with a completely different mode for flying an aircraft in certain stages (it's not quite the Gummy Ship, but yay!).
Shadowline and Sara focus more on the fantasy aspect, while Bokurano Daibouken is more soft sci fi (think a mix of Megaman and self-aware Shounen Anime parody).

If you haven't already, though, I'd recommend playing with Palidin of the Sky. It's more Final Fantasy-like, and the setting is more futuristic fantasy. If you're willing to try the Japanese games, you might start wi th Shadow Line (it's more Legend of Zelda-like, and supports graphics. And the DV2, if you're one of the 3 people in the universe who has one.).

*Glares at incomplete projects* And I will have more some day. Believe it!