Re: What tips would you give to someone just learning to use a mouse?

NVDA has a feature that will play a tone when you move the mouse, using pitch/pan for position, and volume for the brightness of whatever it's over. It also can read whatever text the mouse passes over, but I find this not overly useful (maybe if it had the focus clicks like voiceover?).
If they're an NVDA user, or are willing to play with NVDA, it might be worth messing around with that, to get use to how the mouse works? I'm not really sure it's the best idea, but it's the first thing that came to mind.