Re: HRTF for sounds directly above, centred/level and below listener?

Yeah. I realized very, very late last night that I typoed that.  It's actually x &=~3, which is the most cryptic way I can think of to reduce a number to its last multiple of 4.  I mean, if you know the bit tricks and walk through it, fine, but why not just x = x-x%4 or 4*(x/4)?  Either is clearer.  Unfortunately, OpenALSoft isn't from 2010, it's from 2003, so optimizations like that weren't common.  Nowadays, I'd expect either of those lines to optimize out with a fair degree of certainty; now multiply that by the whole codebase and you begin to understand what this thing looks like internally.  If you really need it, it should at least be put behind a macro or a function, though 2003 compilers probably didn't aggressive inline across translation units--another significant optimization that's somewhat newer, at least in practice.
Libaudioverse will be released under a dual license: GPL and commercial.  I will be charging for the commercial one with various pricing schemes that are yet to be decided-philosophically, making all my cool stuff free and open source for anything is nice, but I'd also like things like an income and a retirement plan.  I chose the GPL because it's basically Libaudioverse the demo version for the commercial people and it will hopefully make this community start sharing code-people do a lot of hoarding around here, imho.
For the record, I'm working on a first person shooter as of now.  Libaudioverse has hit the point where development may only proceed by me actually using it in stuff and seeing where it comes up short.  Also, I need an actual game to test and improve my reverb--I've got an algorithm started which looks like it will be good enough to literally let you hear walls, but I need a bunch of environments to test it in.  It won't be an MMO-style game because that's not the point, but online mul tiplayer is on the table as of now (I'm using it to prototype a bunch of stuff for my next and hopefully last attempt at a WoW-style MMO, and the fallout is that that might be really easy to add).