Re: let's talk about the hobbit film trilogy

Let me preempt my response by the notion that I really don't care about how close movies are to books. I'm of the firm opinion that a movie must be able to stand on its own and not only can but mostly likely must compromise the source material to make the transition from one medium to the other. I judge movies and books independently of each other solely on their own merit.

For me the movie was overly and needlessly melodramatic. The problem seems that I simply didn't care for any of the characters so them dying was neither important nor emotional for me. I think this was my primary problem with the whole Hobbit trilogy. None of the characters appealed to me. Well, maybe Radagast but he was sadly only a very minor character. The dwarves were all kind of boring, Bilbo was less irritating than Frodo but not really interesting either. Bard was the typical good guy. Smaug was the most interesting character of the trilogy and that's condemning for the trilogy seeing that he is only a minor character that appears for no more than maybe 45 minutes out of nearly 7 hours.