Re: Musings on audio navigation

My recent theory about being able to manage complexity with audio is program games using full 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound. I realize of course that this would alienate a number of people, as not everyone could afford a surround system, and have it evenly spaced, and set up properly without some assistance. I know this doesn't have as much to do with navigation spasifically, but it might be a step in the right direction. This is how you could hear things behind you. The developer would have to make sure that they program sound playing in the appropriate surround channels. Easyer said than done i'm sure, and as i said, not everyone has access to full blown audio systems.