Surviving something major like an EMP?

This is going to be an unusual topic for me. I just started reading one second after by William Forstchen and I am wondering, what would happon to us in something like this? How long can we really survive something like an EMP or something else? Think about all the electronics that we have and the like. I am think that if something like this happon, no matter what country or who you are nor your view point, this could be bad. I need to go do some looking to see what the likelyhood of this happoning, but with the weapons that men kind has a whole seems bad enough, even if this can not or does not happon. If you do not want the book spoiled, do not click on the link. it leads to a Wikipedia page that gives the plot to the book. LOL.