Re: Surviving something major like an EMP?

Ehh, horse manure may not have eaten the ozone but that isn't the primary issue with cars, it's CFCs and other chemicals that mostly eat the ozone. The issue with vehicles is greenhouse gases, primarily CO2 and methane, and livestock produce large quantities of methane which is far more potent than CO2, as does the decomposition of manure. There's also the quality of life factor, when I said air quality I meant specifically at street level.

I never intended to say masses of people would die, I simply meant the cities themselves would be pretty effectively killed by people getting clear of them. That said I'll also note that compared to a lot of developed countries the US has a vast wealth of undeveloped land, while we probably have enough land here in the UK we and other countries in western Europe have far, far less of it than the US.