Re: Full-Fledged Audio RPG: Seeking Help

Coding nightmare? Maybe, depends whose programming.  Most spells and skills are just restrings and changing numbers in a data file, so it depends how good the coder is at pushing complexity out of the code and into the data (in some sense, there's not a word for it and I'm trying not to go way off topic).  In all honesty, I haven't seen too much of that sort of thing in this community.
The problem I see here is that the number of abilities and combinations in question is going to call for an above average to incredibly large set of art resources, and a huge amount of content creation.  I normally say that getting resources is a small part of the project, but you appear to be setting yourself up to prove me very wrong.  Very.  The amount of content you are setting up for means you can probably drop some of it without too much loss, and you can always add more later or even make a second game with the same engine.
As for mechanics, d on't force level for anything.  If you feel like you need to force the level, maybe consider the mechanics again.  If I am a skilled player, I should be allowed and able to advance indefinitely; people even find this fun.  If the thing in question here is "either I force the level or the character isn't strong enough", it sounds to me like the combat system relies way too much on random numbers and stats and way too little on me actually figuring out how to do awesome things.  There are a number of directions you can go in to fix it: add elements of timing to  provide bonuses, add elements of planning like elemental affinities that change with casting spells, add elements of working together where if you can set it up so that 2 or 3 characters all do one thing within a turn of each other then something special happens.  Some sighted games with turn based combat put everyone on a small grid, devoting half exclusively to you and half e xclusively to the enemy; these games then add range and delay to attacks and allow characters to move during their turns.  There are enough mechanics you can add that you should be able to remove the so-called level gates and/or make it such that the gates are more of a flimsy cardboard wall for a hyper competent player (with most players falling somewhere between).  But if you're just going to force the level, remove grinding all together and make it based off quest completion or something instead.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector