Re: I'm blind and want to develop a very complex game

Just because you can put anything at any angle, doesn't mean you do put anything at any angle.
Think Swamp or Shades of Doom: the map is really rectangular, but you can turn and walk at any angle, and so too can the enemies.  My current project loads the map from an array of tiles, compiles it into a set of boxes in ODE, and then enemies and you are just more ODE geometries.  I don't actually use the Physics part, just the collision piece.  In a setup like that, turning to 37 degrees is no big deal, and you can even simulate the ordinances themselves.  That is bullets and missiles and whatnot are actually moving objects, just like you.  You then throw the Swamp radar on it which, because it's ODE, you basically get for free-including detecting enemies in exactly the same manner as walls, if you want.
I'd have had this done over Christmas break, but it's also the testbed project for Libaudioverse; the purpose is to show me how to make Libaudioverse better.  To that end, I keep dropping it and fixing Libaudioverse bugs or making the interfaces more friendly, which isn't always trivial-my current rewrite will have Libaudioverse automatically doing the right thing in 75% of cases, replacing a great number of for loops and cutting down on the line count needed to use it by a lot, but basically involved gutting a quarter of the code.  If I didn't have 3D audio,, it'd be kind of pointless to simulate bullets and missiles and stuff, but I do so it's not.  You have to write all that code anyway if you want an FPS, you might as well leverage it for everything you can, and ODE makes it insultingly easy as compared to doing the same in BGT.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector