Re: Getting arrows to be spoken by screen readers

No. I get both the text and the character. You cant' do what you want this way. Please try tagging them with aria-label"foobar" and then have us test that, as I think that's the most likely thing to work unless you switch to images.  You can throw each of them in a div and put the alternative text on that. This is part of HTML for all intents and purposes, it's just not going to be fully implemented for another year or two.
If anyone deserves ridicule, it's the AT companies for not implementing any proper support for Unicode, and it is a problem in much more serious places than your web site.  On wikipedia, for example.
Edit for clarification:
You can probably put the entire combination in the same div.  Putting each character in the same div is possibly going to make them show up as on separate "lines", but the definition of what I mean by line is a bit complex. Probably better to say "logical unit".< br />Get a windows VM and install NVDA and Firefox, if you can. I sincerely think it would be worth it for you to be able to try something that is not Orca.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sik via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector