Re: Death match a new beginning, online roleplaying science fiction MMO

I think you're misunderstanding, or maybe I am.  You seem to be saying that the client is a completely dumb terminal, but I'm not 100% sure this is the case.  I'm telling you that the client *should* move the player client-side.  Presumably it has enough information to do collision detection, etc.  You then match this action to the next message from the server, probably by sending an id in your "I walked" message and matching it to a "you moved" message that has the same id on it.
The only way that you can get an online game which is not entirely menu-based to work reasonably is by allowing the client to be "fuzzy" about all of this and perform part of the player's actions presuming they'll be successful.  In all honesty, it is as tricky as it sounds.  If you're already doing this, there isn't much more you can do to cover up for the network itself.
Also, we're pretty sure that it's not CPU at this point-but the benchmarks you're doing are basically useless.  The only reason I am able to say probably not CPU is because you're saying 1%, but that particular number is merely a snapshot--you may be checking it just before or after the spike of your tick, for example, and it's very poorly documented how it's actually measured.  If purebasic has one, you really, really want to use a profiler for this kind of thing.  It's not even worth optimizing without measurements of some sort, in my opinion.  But regardless, "my friend runs it and the fans don't come on" simply means that he's got a good cooling system and says basically nothing about the CPU-not to mention that one of the most common causes for a fan to come on in a modern computer is the graphics card, and CPUs are quite often almost completely passively cooled.
If your game protocol allows it without too much effort, you can make bots.  I'd suggest doing as follows: start a private instance, create 100 player accounts, control them with 100 bot programs, and see what happens.  They don't need to be smart, they just need to do random stuff.  The thing that may be hiding on you is to do with complexity: how algorithms grow with the size of their inputs.  You want to know if the game doesn't scale linearly now.  If there is going to be a CPU problem in the near future, this is the kind of test that will show it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Rio_unesa via Audiogames-reflector