Re: Why do screen readers struggle to read math?

Pandoc is not converting LaTeX.  Pandoc is converting some small portion of LaTeX that it happens to understand.  As soon as you throw an actually complicated document at it it's going to choke and die hard.  The issue you are having is this, not Tex vs. LaTeX.  If you want to be able to always do the conversion, you'll need a full LaTeX toolchain.
That said, what are your pandoc command line options?  I could potentially use that for my blog given that we don't have MathML yet and aren't likely to get it soon.  I figured out how to get Mathjax going, but that's not exactly accessible; I'm assuming you found a way to do it is images with alt text or something.
As for math, well, you're in linear algebra.  I sure hope you're feeling confident about those 6 by 6 matrices.  I can promise you with complete certainty that it is taking you much longer to do matrix manipulations without braille, at least unless you got some sort of special permission to just use Python for it or something.  The long and the short of it is that only pretty smart people can go far without braille in math.  It's just not something that is easy or sane.  This is why I hate the braille is expensive students-if you asked and got it set up, it's set up for anyone else who needs it and helps to set the precedent for the future.  But maybe this isn't the U.S. or another first world country.