Re: List of C++ gui compiler and book?

Everything I said above holds.  But this thread isn't going to go away until someone gives an answer, so fine.  This is still the brief version.  The long version is multiple pages, including a Cmake tutorial and a Cdb tutorial.  If you have a proven performance problem in a higher level language and have tried everything else to fix it, then it's time to maybe consider C++.  Maybe.  But there are other, more sane languages out there, and you can usually find C/C++ libraries for whatever language you're in that do whatever you're trying to do, anyway.
You do use the compilers from the command line.  I can even get you started debugging, though that would almost certainly involve some sort of realtime discussion because it's a bit fiddly.  i'm not familiar with the various free editions of VS, but they all contain the same compiler as far as I know; I use 2014 Ultimate, which I get free due to my university and which has no practical extra features if you're blind anyway.
The trick to using the command line compilers is to find the developer command prompt.  Every version of VS moves this somewhere slightly different; you'll have to look up where it is and make a desktop shortcut to it.  If you can get that far, the compiler is cl.exe, the linker is link.exe, the debugger is cdb.exe if you installed it via the Windows SDK, and you may also be interested in dumpbin.  Cdb will not help you without a lot of fiddling or asking me, so you have been forewarned.
After bouncing around between build systems, i finally settled on Cmake.  Cmake is like PHP: it's completely awful, but you're not going to outdo it in terms of being able to get things done and cope with the fact that every system is different.  I'm not going to even go into platform-specific options.  I looked at Scons and seriously used it for camlorn_audio, but you l iterally end up spending longer waiting on Scons to run than for your source files to compile; it is also not very actively developed.  Everything else I found doesn't even have the abilities that Cmake does to cope with finding where things are, so putting up with one of the worst programming languages ever is the price you have to pay.
The final piece of this particular puzzle for a Windows user is Jom.  I don't have a link.  It's part of the QT project of all things.  You can use Nmake or Msbuild, but Nmake only uses one core and Msbuild gives you so many status messages it's ridiculous.  jom is able to build with all your cores while not having that problem.
And this is still the brief version.  Really.  Cmake itself is a full programming language and cdb is essential if you want to know how or why your program is crashing and involves at least 15  2-letter or 3-letter commands without useful mnemonics.
A nd don't think you can forgo a build system.  Libaudioverse is only 7 kloc.  A full rebuild takes about 2 minutes.  A full rebuild with the supporting libraries which are in C and consequently compile faster is upwards of 3.  I'm literally going to be purchasing a high end computer just to get these down; as it stands, they take half the development time or more.