Re: Let's Discuss Everything About Star Trek

I'm a fan as well, though not to any major extent besides watching and reading. I actually was introduced to Trek through the books, and still haven't watched a series in its entirety, though I'd say I've seen all of the important episodes except Enterprise. Pretty much agree with everything you guys have said here about Voyager and DS9, though being as I wasn't watching the whole series I didn't have as much of a problem with Seven; her character is very well developed in the relaunch books, particularly her struggle with her identity after the Borg are...well I won't spoil it here, in case anyone wants to read about it.
The Borg finally start a full-on invasion of the federation, and for all its cheesiness, I love their last message: "We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your technological and biological distinctiveness have become irrelevant. Resistance is futile...but welcome. This is chronicled in the Destiny trilogy, which, w hile I think the ending was a bit too cutesy, was pretty well done overall. I love that the books can go really in depth into some of the details and characters, more so than you can do in an hour-long episode. Particularly good are the Enterprise relaunch series, which is ongoing and is chronicling the Romulan War and the founding of the Federation, (except for to Brave the Storm, which absolutely, spectacularly sucked!) the Lost Era, which chronicled the happenings between the Undiscovered Country and the Next Generation, Titan, a lot of the books dealing with the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the Department of Temporal Investigations series which expands on the DTI agents in Deep Space 9, Vulcan's Soul which is about the Romulans' split from Vulcan, the spam series...just to name a few. The lit universe does have its low points though just like the shows, and they can get pretty low, especially since now that there's no magic reset button an author can completely c rap all over the universe and leave others to pick up the pieces. This has happened quite a few times over the last few years; the Fall, which deals with events after a Federation president is assasinated (wonder if she'l eventually get magically resurrected like all the other characters seem to these days?) started off a bit boring, then had three really awesome books, but I couldn't even finish the last one, the Amazon reviews having told me all I needed to know, which wasn't much. Overall though I'd say most of the more recent books are pretty decent, and quite a few are great.
I'm not a huge fan of the Original Series episodes, though there have been some good books coming from there as well. One episode that used to absolutely scare the hell out of me was the Changeling, not because of the content but just the general concept, that of something technological that originally had a noble purpose being twisted to just mindlessly kill. I dislike the ne w movies as well, and my opinion of the new Star Wars movie when it is released will probably be the same: they're just generic action flicks. The film industry seems to be really fond of milking franchises for all they're worth beyond all reason, simply because they were once classics.
I seem to be losing interest a little as of late, as I haven't been keeping up with the release of the books as I used to.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Guitarman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wanderer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Guitarman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Locutus via Audiogames-reflector