Puppet Nightmares help needed

Hi all,
How can I make my puppets deal more damage? I'm currently trying to fight Cutless, and the max I saw any of my puppets dish out at one time is 500+ damage. I took care of his minions first, but Mesara was killed and I only had my three puppets by themselves.
The opotimal strategy is to have your puppets deal at least 2000 damage because Cutless has a wapping 9K HP.
How can I find out if any of my puppets can get anymore skills? I've got stuff like Wind Hammer, Thrash, Desperation, etc. Not sure how to unlock more. I know I unlocked one in an episode 1 quest, or the beginning of EP2 when I had to kill Hey Zeus.
So can anyone help me with this... I assume boss fight?
Thanks.