Re: building linux programs with Cygwin

Well, I don't know how much experience you have had with building software from scratch so depending on your skill level it could be complex or fairly easy. However, since I don't know what skill level you are at I'll start by giving you an outline of the process and we can go from there.

To begin with before you can build anything you must install Cigwin, install any and all dependencies required by the software you wish to build, and of course install and configure all the build tools you will need.

Second, you will need to download the source code into your Sigwin home directory, extract the source, and if all the dependencies are in place you are ready to build.

If everything is installed and setup correctly you can cd into your source directory and do a "./configure" to run the autoconf script. Once configured do a "make" and then "make install" to build and install the software. If you get build errors then it is likely because your dependencies aren't correct and that is where things can get tricky. Since you haven't specified what software you want to build I can't go any further than that at this time without knowing more about your build environment, what you are building, etc.