Re: Heat Engine, a game engine for BGT games

What is the easiest way to create a character with the character class? Should I modify the character class with pathes for the various step sounds, etc, and do that for multiple characters such as the player and any AI actors? I guess I should just use normal sound stream playback for music during levels? There's the ambience in HE, but trying to figure out how I'll set up my own game before I screw up any of the classes without meaning to. I make backups, but that's beside the point. I'll also modify the keys in fpControler so that I can use the arrow keys.
Thanks.

The character class is one the most changing classes in the engine for each version tongue and that's the good actor to use for playable characters and enemies. This is basically an actor which can be controled and have built in functions to make it move, with sounds for footsteps in all di rections, etc.

Two solutions to make your character : if it is only exaclty the character behaviour that you're looking for, you can use it with no modification and just configure the sounds paths and values. If you want to add functionalities like health, jumping and all, you should create a new actor (class) inheriting from the Character actor. You should never modify the default actors because they may be used by other parts of the engine, and so modifying their behaviour could destroy the whole engine.

To make ambiences, there's an AmbientSound actor. Its configuration in a file is very simple, you just have to set the sound path and the volume.

For a sidescroller I wouldn't the standard FPControler wich is made for first person controls. But if you make something in first person, making a modifyed version of the FPControler is very simple : the first lines define some constants linked with keyboard keys. You just have to modify them. s
 mile

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : coltonhill01 via Audiogames-reflector
[...]
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Genroa via Audiogames-reflector